Startup and Media Strategies
Through a career spanning tech and media, I’ve gained deep experience in product and content development, entrepreneurship education, disrupting bias in the workplace, and team management (including distributed teams).
Most recently, I’ve been VP or Programs for indie.vc, creating entrepreneurship training and advising startups for an innovative investment program. Previously, I was CEO and co-founder of Lean Startup Productions, a successful media startup. I’ve held senior management positions at O’Reilly Media and UBM TechWeb, launching and running profitable media properties, and I’ve held high-level roles with a number of tech startups. Earlier, I was a freelance journalist writing regularly for The New York Times, I co-founded a record label with children’s musician Laurie Berkner, and I started Just Food's CSA in NYC program.
I hold an MBA from UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business and a BA from Rutgers University. I split my time between New York and San Francisco. Bonus fact: I was the 21st user of Twitter.
Speaking and Workshops
I’ve spoken at dozens of conferences, universities, corporate meetings and other events, and I often run workshops. I welcome new opportunities. Topics include:
- Disrupting Bias at Work (e.g., this talk or this talk)
- How to Get Picked to Speak at Conferences (e.g., this informal webcast)
- Lean Startup 101
- Introducing Entrepreneurship in Your Established Organization
I’ve also given an uncountable number of talks about Twitter. I rarely cover that now, but I can recommend other people.
- Startups Almost Never Talk About This, But They Should, Medium
- Lean Startup 101: The Essential Ideas, How.co
- Ending Conferences Dominated by White Men, Harvard Business Review
- Five Ways White Feminists Can Address Our Own Racism, Huffington Post
- Courting Content, Not Controversy, Startup Lessons Learned
- Staying Friends When You Don't Have Kids and Your BFFs Do, Dogs&Shoes
- Now, Brevity Is the Soul of Office Interaction, New York Times
- How Twitter Can Help at Work, New York Times
- Networking Strategy: Walking and Talking, New York Times
- + More New York Times articles
- Co-host, Cracking the Code for Effective Product Management: A Summit for Modern Newsrooms. 2015, New York
- Co-host, The Lean Startup Conference. 2012 - 2014, San Francisco
- Host, Office Optional. April 2014, San Francisco
- GM & Co-chair, Web 2.0 Expo. 2009 - 2011, San Francisco & New York
- Organizer, Ignite Lean Startup. May 2011, San Francisco, CA
- Chair, Web2Open. April 2009, San Francisco, CA
- Co-chair, Web2Open. April 2008, San Francisco, CA
- Founder & Chair, Tools of Change for Publishing (TOC). June 2007, San Jose, CA