Speaking, writing, conference hosting.
I’m the CEO and co-founder of Lean Startup Productions, a media company that teaches people to build and scale high-risk startups. I’m also co-author of The Twitter Book, an acclaimed guide, and I write and speak about race, gender and bias. In a career spanning tech and media, I’ve hosted influential conferences like Web 2.0 Expo and I’ve been a regular freelance contributor to The New York Times, among other outlets. Previously, I founded Just Food’s CSA in NYC program and helped children’s musician Laurie Berkner launch her record label.
I blog at Dogs and Shoes and split my time between New York and San Francisco. I hold an MBA from UC Berkeley's Haas School of Business and a BA from Rutgers University. Bonus fact: I was the 21st user of Twitter.
I’ve spoken at dozens of conferences, universities, corporate meetings and other events. Topics include:
- Lean Startup 101
- Introducing Experimentation in Your Established Organization
- Disrupting Bias at Work
- How to Get Picked to Speak at Conferences
I’ve also given an uncountable number of talks about Twitter. I rarely cover that now, but I can recommend other people.
Short, fun talks in the Ignite format include:
- How to Crave Kale (video)
- Predictably Irrational: The Story of Phobias, Rubber Snakes and Free-Range Chickens (video)
And an informal webcast for friends: How to Get Picked to Speak at Conferences (video).
- Putting an End to Conferences Dominated by White Men, Harvard Business Review
- Five Ways White Feminists Can Address Our Own Racism, Huffington Post
- Courting Content, Not Controversy, Startup Lessons Learned
- Now, Brevity Is the Soul of Office Interaction, New York Times
- How Twitter Can Help at Work, New York Times
- Networking Strategy: Walking and Talking, New York Times
- + More New York Times articles
- Co-host, The Lean Startup Conference: Since 2012, San Francisco
- GM & Co-chair, Web 2.0 Expo: 2009 - 2011, San Francisco & New York
- Organizer, Ignite Lean Startup: May 2011, San Francisco, CA
- Chair, Web2Open: April 2009, San Francisco, CA
- Co-chair, Web2Open: April 2008, San Francisco, CA
- Founder & Chair, Tools of Change for Publishing: June 2007, San Jose, CA
Leadership Communications, UC Berkeley Haas School of Business: Graduate Student Instructor, Spring 2009